Make a Donation or Sponsor a Child
We are always in need of donations no matter how small or large they may be.
You may make a general donation to SMD Boarding School, contribute to a fund (e.g. Building Fund: we are planning for a new, larger, safer school outside of the pollution of Kathmandu), or most importantly, Sponsor a Student. You may do so through one of our registered foundations or trusts in Canada, USA, Hong Kong or Germany. Please see the contact details and links below and contact the respective foundation directly.
Student Sponsorship Costs
For the school year running from April 2017 to April 2018. Click here to view some of our students who are still in need of sponsors >
- Boarding Student: education, school supplies, room and board on a 12-month basis, uniform, clothing, and medical and dental care.
- Day Student: education, uniform, school supplies and a hot lunch.
- Young Monk: education, school supplies, a set of robes and shoes, medical and dental care.
- Write to us at the school: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sponsors: We need your mailing and email address so the kids can keep in touch!
- Tax deductible donations can be made directly through one of Thrangu Rinpoche’s international non-profit organizations (Canada, USA, Eurozone, or Hong Kong). Please see below.
Urgently Needed & Wish List Items
- A small vehicle for the SMD clinic and city errands.
- Multi Vitamins: non-chewable, w/o sugar adult tablets (we break them in half for the kids) e.g. Natural Factors Complete Multi.
- Airmiles via Aeroplan for international fundraising, visa applications, and grade 11&12 student scholarship recipients abroad.
- Small carpets for dorm rooms ($15): The school is unheated. Temperatures reach 0C at night. Locally-made carpets keep kids’ feet warm and prevent colds.
- Running shoes ($25): Kids play sports in bare feet, risking injury and hookworm infections.
- Board games, small stuffed toys, warm woolen socks and underwear, sports equipment, and art supplies ($35).
- Driving lessons ($100): At SMD only a handful of people can drive. $100 trains one older student.
- Sanitary products for girls for one month ($140)
- Internet service payment for one month ($225)
- Solar batteries ($600): Nepal has daily power cuts in the dry season (nine months) and kids can’t study. SMD needs batteries for the library, clinic, stairwells and kitchen.
- Yearly Healthcare Fund ($10,000): Supplies for SMD clinic, lab equipment, vaccines, medications, eye and dental care, hearing, vision, dental and hospitalization expenses for children and support staff.
- Picnic, concert or outing contributions (from $300 for smaller events to $5,000 for full day park picnic for 500+ students, teachers and staff): the kids live in a compound and seldom get out to play.
- A New School Campus: We have a long term vision to build a larger school that can house more students and that is in a safer, less polluted environment away from the core of the city. Please contact us directly for more details on our plans.
Thrangu Rinpoche’s Charitable Organizations
c/o Lama Karma Dawa and Secretary Ling
FRm 912, 9/F., Wah Shing Centre, No. 11-13 Shing Yip St., Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
c/o Wolfgang Schmid
Wackerstr. 47d, 88131 Lindau, Germany